PYGHACK is second annual 24-hour hackathon, offered as a component of the broader cultural event, PYGMALION.
In year two, we're continuing where we left off after our inaugural hack in 2017: inviting both campus and community to come together to create something powerful that will ultimately benefit the greater good in this community.
The goal is simple, yet complex, like all of the best parts of life: engage coders, designers, engineers, and dreamers. Challenge them to create something to benefit their community or an organization in Champaign-Urbana.
$10,185 in prizes
+ one Huawei tablet per team member of winning team (maximum 5, $1500 value)
+ dinner with Granular Engineering Leadership Team (maximum 5, $500 value)
+ 1 month medium office at Lodgic Everyday Community ($2100 value)
SECOND RUNNER UP
BEST USE OF WOLFRAM TECHNOLOGY: The winner of this prize will receive $500 CASH, and one year license to Wolfram|One Professional (value $1,310) for each member of the team.
Q&A and lunch with the UX & design team
LODGIC EVERYDAY COMMUNITY PRIZE
concept/product/process best supports and inspires today’s working families
BEST CONCEPT TO SUPPORT AND INSPIRE WORKING FAMILIES: Winning team will recieve one 1 month all-access pass to Lodgic Everyday Community ($220 / month value). Package will also include include thumb drives, coffee mugs, notebooks, pens, chapsticks, print materials, and more.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Here are some basic rules about participating in PYGHACK:
- Hackers must present their ID to gain entry to PYGHACK, which will be crosschecked against the ticketing manifest provided by Pygmalion organizers.
- This event is open to registered members only. Please register your team AHEAD of time or else you will not be granted entry to the event.
- If you are registering for the hack, please let us know if you have any food allergies that we should be aware of.
- There are a variety of prizes available depending on the scope of what your team builds — check out the prizes section to learn more about what to shoot for!
- Throughout the hack, teams will be provided with data sets and possible access to key leaders and nonprofit organizations working in the space to help craft their solutions.
- Maximum five (5) members per team.
- All members of the team should be present to pitch to our judges and receive their prize at the awards ceremony.
For more information about the HACK, please visit the FAQ section of the website.
What is the goal of PYGHACK?
PYGHACK will aim towards helping the greater Champaign-Urbana area and community through social good combined with innovation and technology. Teams will have the opportunity to choose from a set of challenges related to the topic, with a few challenge categories:
- Benefits the common good in the community at-large, whether that be a local non-profit, organization that benefits the underprivileged, etc.
- Benefit the community in terms of retention of student talent for growth of Champaign-Urbana's professional job sector.
- Benefit visitors to Champaign-Urbana community to encourage return visits to the community.
- Binding together groups of existing organizations to encourage collaboration to benefit the greater Champaign-Urbana community.
Throughout the hack, teams will be provided with access to key leaders and nonprofit organizations working in the space to help craft their solutions.
What are the deadlines I should pay attention to?
You must register to participate in the hackathon by 12 pm CST on Saturday, September 29th.
You are allowed to continue updating that submission until 12:00 PM CST on Sunday, September 30th.
How to enter
How do I register myself and/or my team?
In order to participate in PYGHACK, please register you and/or your team HERE by 12:00 pm CST on SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29th.
Who can apply to participate in PYGHACK?
Whether you're a tech professional, college student, high school student, or somewhere in between — you can apply to participate!When are final submissions due?
Final submissions are due by the completion of the hack — 12:00 PM CST on Sunday, September 30th.
Where and when are winners being selected?
The final product submissions will be judged following the completion of the hack, and winners will be presented on Sunday, September 30th at EnterpriseWorks at Research Park.
If your team wins a category, you'll be required to prepare a short 2-3 minute presentation describing the concept and demostrating what you've created. All members must be present to receive the awards!
School of Social Work, UIUC
iVenture Accelerator, UIUC
City of Urbana
Does your hack provide a benefit to the greater Champaign-Urbana community (a non-profit organization, under-served population, etc.)?
Does your team incorporate several members from different communities in Champaign-Urbana? Such as: professionals vs. students vs. engineers vs. coders. Bonus points if you have multi-level diversity!
Does this hack look good? Looks are important in some capacity!
Does your hack have a functioning prototype that can be seen by judges? An app, website, device, etc that (at least) mostly works?
Does your hack provide something new and exciting that doesn't already exist in some capacity? The more unique and creative, the better.